More information on the new release is available in the following post: WordPress 4.1
Sometimes it’s the small details that improve the whole experience. That’s why version 4.0 focuses on improving the user experience, but also has new features to offer. From now on, working with plugins, images and other media is even more intuitive and flexible.
WordPress 4.0 is now available for all 1&1 customers in the 1&1 App Center.
WordPress 4.0 highlights:
- Scrolling in the editor has been further improved. Sidebar and main content now scroll independently. The toolbar in the editor is now more sticky which makes editing longer posts even easier!
- The media library now offers a grid view!
- The language selection during the WordPress installation has been improved. Install WordPress directly in your language!
- The plugin details and settings sections are now more informative, clearly structured and easier to use. Finding plugins and setting them up has never been easier.
- New direct preview of embedded URLs in the visual editor.
All you need to do is paste a YouTube or Flickr URL into your post and WordPress automatically embeds the video. This easy embedding process is supported by many services such as YouTube, Twitter, Flickr, Hulu, TED… (learn more: WordPress Codex: Embeds)
Source: WordPress Blog
The New Media Library Grid View
Introducing WordPress 4.0 by Marko Heijnen
Marko Heijnen, provides an overview of the newest additions to WordPress. He also discusses what is next for WordPress and speculates on the features that will emerge in future releases.
Updating to WordPress 4.0
As WordPress 4.0 is a major update, it will not be automatically installed by WordPress. This is how to update your WordPress installation:
1&1 Safe Mode
We will start to update your WordPress installation to WordPress 4.0 soon. There is no action required from you.
1&1 Free Mode and Manual Installations
As an admin, you can update your WordPress installation directly in your WordPress admin area under Dashboard > Updates. We recommend updating to WordPress 4.0 as soon as possible to get all the benefits and improvements that come along with the new release.
Meet the Community:
- Martin Wolfert
Martin has a private WordPress blog and also has installed and adjusted WordPress for some customers. As a Linux admin within 1&1, he manages the lively frontends and the stable backend for Web.de and GMX.
- Cordt Rott
Cordt has been working as a designer and web designer for 18 years. Today he is working for 1&1 as Project Manager and Sales Manager. Furthermore, Cordt can be considered an expert of all things concerning SEO
- Oliver Schulz and Patrick Eggert
Oliver has been working as an Advanced Abuse Analyst with 1&1 Internet AG for 5 years. He was able to gain extensive experience with WordPress through several blog projects, and has continuously developed his knowledge of CSS, HTML5 and theme design. Patrick is a temporary employee at 1&1, and gathered basic knowledge of WordPress mainly from editorial tasks.