More information on the new release is available in the following post: WordPress 4.1
Update November 21, 2014: WordPress 4.0.1 fixes critical security vulnerabilities in WordPress Core.
We strongly recommend you upgrade your site to 4.0.1 now!
- Customers using 1&1 Click & Build Safe Mode will be updated automatically.
- Free Mode and self maintained installations: If you have automatic updates enabled for your site, it will be updated to WordPress 4.0.1 automatically. If you have automatic updates disabled: Please update manually as soon as possible.
Learn more about the WordPress 4.0.1 Security Release (WordPress Blog).
Version 4.0.1 also fixes some smaller bugs:
- Stability improvements to the media gallery grid view.
Bug description: Some users experienced problems with the grid view in the media library – images where not shown in these cases while images were displayed in media library using list view without issues. View details
- Inserting images or text before a gallery via copy and paste is now working as expected.
Bug description: In visual mode, content that was pasted before a gallery would show up after the gallery, not before. View details
- Multisite installations: Fixed fatal error when creating a new site.
Bug description: After updating to 4.0 a few users had problems adding a new site to multisite installations. WordPress ended up with a white page saying: Fatal error: Call to protected method WP_Roles::init() from context ” in [URL] on line 1382.
Upon returning to the network sites page, the new site had been created, but without content and a non-functioning URL. View details
For a comprehensive list of all bugfixes, head over to the WordPress Core status page.
You might also be interested in: