SFTP: Access Your Webspace Easily and Securely

SFTP provides you with encrypted and secure access to your webspace and allows you to perform tasks such as installing WordPress manually or creating a backup. We have revised the FTP settings from the ground up to make SFTP as easy to use as possible:

All connection data and recommended FTP programs in one place: User name, assigned directories, FTP server, protocol and port.

ftp-settings-overviewSet up secure FTP access: We help you find a secure password. Personal notes allow you to store brief information about a user, e.g. role, tasks, customer or project.

ftp-settings-create-userEasily configure FTP programs: Easily download the appropriate configuration files and import the correct file to your FTP program.

ftp-settings-create-user-success

If you are managing FTP access for a team, you can now send FTP credentials directly to your users by e-mail.

Download recommended FTP programs: Our team regularly tests the most popular FTP programs. You can download the best programs directly and securely in the 1&1 Control Panel.

ftp-settings-clients-download

Open FTP Settings in the 1&1 Control Panel

Please rate this post :

12 thoughts on “SFTP: Access Your Webspace Easily and Securely

1. Joseph Rowe says:

What the hell have you done to my computer and files? I can not access our files. I downloaded a program called Flash Zilla and it does nothing. I met with Carl Clemons last night and we decided to cancel and go with another provider. I am the web master for our club Portsmouth Amateur Radio Club

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Joseph,

please keep in mind that we offer secure FTP on Windows hosting with FTPs, not SFTP. Here you find basic informations how to setup your FTP client with FTPs: http://help.1and1.com/hosting-c37630/webspace-and-access-c85098/ftp-c37631/ftps-connection-credentials-a781853.html

Kind regards,
      Michael, 1&1

2. Mike Butkus says:

Nice, but if your program is not SFTP compatible, this will not work as my “Site Publisher v2.6” program has no SFTP setting. My “Site Publisher” is a syncro program, keeps a list of what’s on the server on my PC, compares, and only sends up new or added files to my site. I have 25K files on my site. I did fix my inability to login by changing my server login name from butkus.us to home383xxxxxx1.1and1-data.host That is the name listed on my Control Panel when I login to 1and1.com Now my old program is working again thank to a quick call to your help desk !

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Mike,

glad to hear that the colleagues were able to help. 🙂

In fact, FTP without encryption is still supported (but not recommended). But the FTP client or software has to support “passive mode” for FTP. Otherwise it will not work. Looks like your software does passive mode in combination with the host url from your Control Panel.

Regards,
      Michael, 1&1

3. I want only to interact with my site via http://FTP... no site-buiding tools, thank you, but the index page I uploaded to my site is not the one that’s being accessed when my web address is visited. What am I missing?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Dennis,

you might have a look into your FTP client, which files are located in the folder connected with your domain. If there are e.g. 2 index files, please look which one belongs to your application. Delete then the other one, it might the default one, given by our system.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

4. Okay. There is an index page under a folder called “traffic” but I get an error message when I try to replace or alter it (using webspace explorer and my own ftp program).

Thanks for your help, sincerely. I haven’t had a website since 1995, btw… things seemed a lot simpler then.

5. I emailed support with the same response I got here. It’s likely something very simple that I am doing or not doing that prevents me from accessing my own index page but the fact that no one can be bothered to enlighten me is reason enough I think to go ahead and try some other hosting service. I’ve been reading about “cPanel”… maybe that’s what I need. Wish me luck.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Dennis,

the sub-folder “traffic” belongs to the folder “logs” and should not be used for storing website files in it.

I recommend you to create a new main folder for every website project in the root directory of your webspace (in FTP clients shown as the highest path “/”. )

Then you can connect the domain with this folder in your 1&1 Control Panel: https://help.1and1.com/domains-c36931/manage-domains-c79822/domain-destination-c38672/connect-your-domain-to-your-website-webspace-a599292.html

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

6. Jaime Rojas says:

Hello 1and1 appreciated

I’m writing to you in the mail because I do not speak English.

Friends, I request your help to resovre the following novelties:

I can connect through FTP, I can also download files and upload to replace existing files.

However I can not upload new files
    This problem began 3 days ago and I tried fileZilla, and 3 more programs, I also deactivated the antivirus and the firewall of my computer and the problem remains.

Also, when I try to update the plugins and templates from my wordpress sites, it asks me for the FTP password, something that did not happen before and can not act directly from the updates panel of my site.

After exhausting all possible solutions, I think the problem is on the server.

Thank you in advance for your customary collaboration.

Best Regards

PDTA: My customer ID is 28569269

7. Jaime Rojas says:

Please gentlemen of 1and1

I can not even upload images to my site, I need urgent help.

Hello 1and1 appreciated

I’m writing to you in the mail because I do not speak English.

Friends, I request your help to resovre the following novelties:

I can connect through FTP, I can also download files and upload to replace existing files.

However, I can not upload new files
    This problem began 3 days ago and I tried fileZilla, and 3 more programs, I also deactivated the antivirus and the firewall of my computer and the problem remains.

Also, when I try to update the plugins and templates from my wordpress sites, it asks me for the FTP password, something that did not happen before and can not act directly from the updates panel of my site.

After exhausting all possible solutions, I think the problem is on the server.

Thank you in advance for your customary collaboration.

Best regards

PDTA: My customer ID is xxxxxxxx

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Jaime,

I can see that our support colleauges already got in touch with you via e-mail. They need further informations to help you with this query.

Please keep in mind that SFTP (FTP over SSH) is the default and recommended connection type on our servers. Maybe it already helps to re-configure your FTP client to SFTP : https://help.1and1.com/archive-c85107/save-sftp-account-data-in-filezilla-a683348.html

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

Leave a Reply to Joseph Rowe Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *