The SSL Protocol is a transfer protocol used to authenticate and encrypt Internet connections. The protocol identifies the Internet page and warrants that the data cannot be read or changed during the transfer. This is particularly important for the exchange of sensitive data, e.g. for online banking.
A website that is protected by the SSL protocol can be identified based on the URL address displayed in the browser.
The URL of a SSL encrypted website starts with https://
Data traffic is secured with the help of a SSL certificate issued by the certification authority. The SSL certificate consists of a private key, a public key and checked identification data, such as domain name or subdomain name, expiration date and issuer. The SSL certificates have a certain validity. This validity corresponds to the period in which the certificate can be used.
If a browser calls an encrypted page, the server sends a copy of the public key to the browser. The browser checks if the SSL certificate can be trusted. If the browser declares the SSL certificate as trustworthy, it sends a message to the server. Then, the server sends back a signed confirmation, so that the SSL encrypted session is initiated.
1&1 SSL Certificates
- QuickSSL Premium Certificate: With a QuickSSL Premium Certificate, you can secure a domain or a subdomain. This SSL certificate is issued by the GeoTrust certification authority. The QuickSSL Premium Certificate offers a simple and fast protection through DNS or e-mail authentication. The encryption strength is of up to 256 Bit.
- RapidSSL Wildcard Certificate: With a RapidSSL Wildcard Certificate you can secure an unlimited number of subdomains that you have created under a domain. This is useful if you want to protect your website and your e-mail server. The RapidSSL Wildcard Certificate is issued by the RapidSSL certification authority. RapidSSL Wildcard Certificate offers a simple and fast protection through the DNS or e-mail authentication. The encryption strength is of up to 256 Bit.
The most important features at a glance:
- Security: Strong 256-bit encryption; 2048-bit root
- Authentication: Domain validated
- Convenience: Easy to set up – It only takes a few minutes
- Universality: Support for more than 99% of browsers and most mobile device browsers
- Reissue Period: Unlimited, free reissues for lifetime of certificate / 6x/year
Managing SSL-Certificates in 1&1 Domain Center: