Customizing your Managed WordPress website

After logging in for the first time, start the wizard to set up the design and plugins for your website.

1: Select your website type

You need full creative control for your photo blog or a professional company website with extensive evaluation options? – Each website type offers a selection of plugins and themes that we have optimized for your website.

mwp-assistant-setup-en_us-22: Choose your theme

Use themes to control what your website looks like. You can easily adjust and personalize all themes later. For the selection of themes, we have evaluated not only the features and design, but also the performance and quality of the code.

mwp-assistant-setup-en_us-1This means that all the themes offer not only a great design, but also the speed and mobile-friendliness, visitors need to have a great experience on your website.

Get started on your website

Create your first post, customize the design, link the domain of your choice or adjust the setting for comments. It all is up to you.

Once you have set up your website using the wizard, you will find a summary of the most important actions and settings in the Dashboard.  If you want to completely redesign your website, you can go back to the wizard at any time to adjust your website type, theme or plugins.

Get to know the Managed WordPress Dashboard

You can create posts and pages, and manage your website, using the Dashboard. The Managed WordPress wizard always offers you direct access to your website’s most important functions:

managed-wordpress-dashboard-en

The News and tips section offers news, help articles, videos and first-hand reports from the 1&1 Community.

You might also like

Please rate this post :

44 thoughts on “Customizing your Managed WordPress website

1. valencia says:

how do you change and need to customize our footer on bottom to say:
    *** copyright …. etc

2. Selim Catkin says:

When I try to install WordPress app within 1&1, it asks me to enable SSL certificate which is already enabled. Any help?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Selim,

we need more detailed informations to help you. Please send us an e-mail with all the data you can provide at help@1and1.com. We will have a deeper look into this.

Thanks,
      Michael, 1&1

3. My blog posts are always coming up in summary form instead of full text even though I have them set as full text in the settings. How can I change this?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Simon,

this depends very much on the theme you are using for your blog. The function you might want to edit on this point is called “excerpt”:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Excerpt

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

4. terri C says:

I’ve set everything up and followed all of the instructions but when I try to visit my site by typing the address into my internet search bar it comes up with the 1&1default site, but when i click on any link in my control panel or on my wordpress dashboard it takes me to my actual site. why is it not working when i type the address out to visit my site?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi terri C,

the dns update of your domain can always take some time before the site is working in every circumstances. Also browser caches can cause this.

In the mean time your website should be shown everytime you open the url in your browser.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

1. leon says:

ive done the same but how long before i can see it or anyone else see it?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi leon,

I can’t see any issue anymore. Everythings fine now for you as well?

Thanks,
          Michael, 1&1

5. Debbie Joyce says:

I would like to change the text and pictures in the theme. How do I do that. I thought there was access to pictures? Are there more instructions somewhere?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Debbie,

here you can find a “get started” collection created by us:

https://community.1and1.com/managed-wordpress-getting-started/

That should a good point to start from. 🙂

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

6. I cannot get into either of my websites to design them. It says my wordpress email/username/password is wrong. I created a new wordpress site inside of 1and1 and I’m not sure how I”m supposed to create or login in to it.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Felicia,

you are trying to login to your WordPress dashboard with the credentials you created during the WordPress installation process, right? Please don’t mix it up with the login credentials you normally use for 1&1 Control Panel access.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

7. Which is the best cache plugin in wordpress?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi,

thats pretty hard to say – like in many things, it’s a matter of taste. 🙂

Personally, I made good experiences with “Cachify” https://wordpress.org/plugins/cachify/ and “Cache Enabler” https://wordpress.org/plugins/cache-enabler/

If you want to save ressources and use caching without another plugin, you might activate OPCache on our server: https://community.1and1.com/php-7/

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

8. Lexy says:

Two of pages that are on my website (Programs and Program Benefits) do not show up when scrolling through. I parented them both to home page. Please help!

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Lexy,

seems like you fixed this already. Both pages were loading properly in my test.

Everything’s ok again?

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

9. fisayo says:

I select a theme to start customising , however when i go to preview the theme nothing appears on my screen can someone please help?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi fisayo,

the preview of the customizer does this with mostly every theme I know .. You might better save your changes and look at the result on your live page.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

10. I didn’t know it was possible, but somehow 1&1 makes customizing a WordPress site even easier than it already is! Keep doing what you do, guys.

11. zohaib says:

hi,
    i have an issue in my wordpress website managed by 1&1. i want to backup my database but in phpmyadmin my database is not show.can you please help me how i access my database to make a backup.
    thanks

1. 1and1help says:

Hi,

in Managed mode installations we don’t allow access to the MySQL database.

If you need this access, also for the future, you might consider to switch into a Standard installation. Here is a how-to: https://help.1and1.com/hosting-c37630/website-building-tools-c85146/wordpress-c85192/switch-managed-wordpress-to-standard-mode-a792802.html

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

12. I have noticed that my feature photo does not show up on some rss readers, specifically wordpress.com, which should be compatible with my wordpress.org account. Is there a setting that I am missing? Also I have had a issue with some pictures not transferring to BlogLovin too. Is there are way to re-send them?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Jennifer,

what do you mean exactly with “on some rss readers, specifically worpress.com”? WordPress.com is a All-in-One service provider for WordPress blogs. How exactly is this related to your photo loading issue in RSS feeds?

How do you transfer your pictures to BlogLovin? From where to where.. using which tools?

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

13. zoulou says:

bjr, j’ai télécharger un theme de site de rencontre wordpress, jai vu la confirmation mais apres plus riens. Le dossier étant sur mon ordi, j’ai fait l’installation en passant par ajout d’extention. Cmnt faire pour le retrouvé?
    Merci!

1. 1and1help says:

Bonjour zoulou,

sorry, but my school French is a bit rusty these days. 😉

If I got your question right: You can follow these steps to upload your theme in your WordPress dashboard:

https://assistance.1and1.fr/hebergement-c65619/creation-de-site-web-c85168/1and1-app-center-c85228/wordpress-managed-c85276/installer-des-plugins-ou-themes-externes-avec-wordpress-managed-a793709.html

If this doesnt work out for you, please contact my french colleagues via e-mail at assistance@1and1.fr

Thanks,
      Michael, 1&1

14. John says:

I am attempting my first WordPress site with i-Amaze from TemplatesNext. I want to change the default font. I do not see an editor option available in the Appearance menu in the control panel when I open it. I am using Managed WP. How can I edit the CSS?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi John,

to use the WP editor options, you have to switch from Managed to Standard mode. Then edit the wp-config.php like described here: https://community.1and1.com/enabling-the-wordpress-theme-and-plugin-editor-wordpress-free-mode/

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

15. Deb Herman says:

I’m just getting started here. I’ve used WordPress a bit previously. I’ve created some pages and added content. I’ve used some of the customization options like adding menus and a header image. But none of this is visible when I click on “view site”. Please help.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Deb,

we have a great link collection about the first steps in WordPress for you:

https://community.1and1.com/getting-started-with-wordpress/

Besides that you might consider watching some tutorials on YouTube or search for other beginner how-tos on Google.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

16. I’m assisting a client with editing his website and we want to change to a video in the header and to change the size of the slideshow in the middle of the page. Can you help with that or do I need to contact the theme designer – foogallery? Thanks for your help.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Julia,

I would recommend you to contact the plugin and/or theme developer. With thousands of plugins and themes on the market, it’s impossible for us as a hosting company to support how to use this software.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

17. Gaston says:

Is it possible to remove the latest blog post from my home page? Every theme seems to have it included and I don’t want to have a blog on my site…

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Gaston,

to remove the blog for your website you simply have to remove the link from your menus. Go to “Design” > “Menus” and search for the entry for “Blog” (or how its called in your Theme). You should be able to delete it there.

For better understanding, read more about menu items in this article: https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Menu_User_Guide

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

18. Angela says:

This WordPress is perhaps the most impossibly difficult website creation tool I have ever used. When I go to customise my website, I have zero options to save and/publish my design. Nothing I do works. I sincerely regret using WordPress. I’ve tried to chat with 1and1 for help but instead if actually helping my, they just try to up-sell me other products. This is entirely frustrating. My account is with GoDaddy & I’m only using 1and1 for the hosting, a badly made decision apparently. I’m transferring out.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Angela,

maybe WordPress is just not the right product for you. Please understand that we, as a hosting company, can’t assist you how to use a third party tool like WordPress. Of course you can find trainings, manuals, how-tos all over the web to dig deeper into the WordPress system.

If you don’t want to invest time and money in learning how to use WordPress – that’s fine. We offer you a tool which is way easier in learning and using to create a website – the 1&1 MyWebsite:

https://www.1and1.com/website-builder

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

19. R Davies says:

When I try to set up the Jetpack plugin within my 1&1 Managed WordPress site, it asks me for my WordPress username, then when I supply it, it says the username doesn’t exist.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi R Davies,

on this point, Jetpack does not mean the WordPress username you added while installing Managed WordPress at 1&1.

Jetpack is a WordPress.com product, so you have to create a separate user at https://wordpress.com to use Jetpack.

As soon as your WordPress.com user has been activated, you can use it for the login into the Jetpack plugin.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

20. When I try to add the wordpress app, I get to the end and my domain doesn’t show up in the dropdown. The only domain showing up is one of my others that I do not want to use. Any suggestions.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Joseph,

the reasons why a domain doesn’t show up:

– The domain is brand new and the DNS setup is not finalized
      – The domain is blocked by another application
      – The domain points to another server, which is not connected to this webhosting account

If you checked all these things and you can’t see any problems, please don’t hesitate to contact our support team:

https://contact.1and1.com/

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

21. Billy says:

Hi,

I’m new to 1&1 here in the UK. Currently trialling for 30 days the Managed WordPress that I added to my Pro hosting package.

Can I use a Page Builder like Elementor, Site Origin and WP Bakery formally Visual Composer on the themes included in the Managed WordPress Theme selection?

I have used WordPress for a few years with other hosts and quickly get bogged down in installing and configuring security and nuts and bolts, then never get around to adding actual content.

Could you recommend a FREE SEO and Anti-Spam plugin too as I’m on a very limited budget and Akismet won’t allow you to use their Free basic plan if you want to run ads?

Thanks

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Billy,

Can I use a Page Builder like Elementor, Site Origin and WP Bakery formally Visual Composer on the themes included in the Managed WordPress Theme selection?

You should try. We don’t have long experiences with these site builder plugins.

Could you recommend a FREE SEO and Anti-Spam plugin too as I’m on a very limited budget and Akismet won’t allow you to use their Free basic plan if you want to run ads?

For SEO i think Yast is a tool you might check out. For Anti Spam I made good experiences with Anti Spam Bee (https://wordpress.org/plugins/antispam-bee/)

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

22. Hello.
    I recently had a developer work on this website and I gave him user and pw access. Now I wish o change that and lock him out.
    After I log in, how do I change user and pw?
    Thanks.

Leave a Reply to 1and1help Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *