You can easily transfer content from another WordPress website to your Managed WordPress website. The transfer takes three steps.
- Exporting the data in your old WordPress website
- Preparing your Managed WordPress website
- Importing the data to your Managed WordPress website
Transferring your content in three steps will take about five minutes. Let’s get started!
Tip: You can also use this method to migrate content from Tumblr, Blogger, Moveable Type blogs, Typepad blogs and RSS feeds to your Managed WordPress website.
Exporting WordPress content
Export your content from your old WordPress website using the Export function.
- Log in to the admin area of your old WordPress website.
- In the main menu, click Tools > Export.
- In the Export options select the All content option and click Download Export File.
- Save the export file in your browser’s downloads directory (or at another location if you want to archive it).
Preparing your Managed WordPress website
After exporting, you have to prepare the plugins and themes of your Managed WordPress website for import of your data. You should already have completed installation of Managed WordPress for this step.
- Log in to the admin area of your Managed WordPress website.
- In the main menu, start the 1&1 WP Wizard.
- Now select the theme and the same plugins that were activated on your old WordPress website.
For example, if you worked with the NextGEN Gallery plugin, you also have to activate this plugin on your Managed WordPress website for the import to run smoothly.
Importing WordPress content
After preparing your Managed WordPress website, you use the Import function to import your content.
- In the main menu of your Managed WordPress website, click Tools > Import.
- Now you can select different sources. Click WordPress.
- Click Choose… and select the export file you just saved.
- Click Upload file and import.
- Now you have to set the user to whom your content will be assigned. You can either select an existing user from the drop-down menu, or create a new user.
- Check the box next to Download and import file attachments and click Submit.
WordPress now automatically imports all the content from your old WordPress website.
We have had positive experiences with this method. Depending on the plugins and content, you may have to do some manual fine-tuning, which is why we recommend briefly checking your content after the transfer.