Joomla! 3.5 is now available. The new version includes support for PHP 7, update notifications for admins, an easy drag & drop function for images and improved procedures for inserting modules into articles.
Significantly better performance with PHP 7
The PHP scripting language is the motor that drives many of the most dynamic websites—even Joomla! uses PHP. Previous versions of Joomla! supported PHP 5.6, but Joomla! 3.5 supports PHP 7 and offers important features such as OpCache.
With PHP 7, Joomla! runs up to 2x faster and uses less memory than with PHP 5.6. This means significantly shorter loading times for your website and more performance in reserve for high-traffic periods.
As a 1&1 user, you can easily activate PHP 7 for your Joomla! website using the PHP settings in your 1&1 Control Panel.
In addition to support for PHP 7, the most important new features of Joomla! 3.5 are as follows:
- Update notifications for admins: Get e-mail notifications about important updates so that your website stays up to date and secure.
- Drag & drop for images: Insert images into your posts and pages using the drag & drop function in TinyMCE.
- Image and Read More buttons in the toolbar: Buttons for important functions like adding an image or inserting a Read More link are now in the toolbar. You no longer have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.
- Easy export of system information: You can now easily export all important system information for situations where you need support. You can let others analyze your problem in order to better assist you. Your confidential information remains protected and is not exported.
- Easy insertion of modules: You can now insert modules directly using a button in the editor toolbar, eliminating the need for complicated syntax and manual code modifications.
- Anonymous system data: With your consent, Joomla! now collects anonymous data on the PHP version, database type, database version and Joomla! version. This data helps the Joomla! team better assess which platforms require continued support. Your privacy remains the highest priority, so you can easily change this setting on your first login or by accessing the settings at a later time.
- E-mail settings test: Test your e-mail settings directly in the admin section of your Joomla! website. Status messages and tips assist you in setting up PHP Mail, Sendmail and SMTP.
1&1 Brute Force Protection Plugin
The 1&1 Brute Force Protection plugin stops brute force login attempts on the login form in the Joomla! backend, providing an additional layer of security for your website. If you have installed Joomla! from the 1&1 App Center, the plugin is available instantly. If you have installed Joomla! manually, you can download the plugin for free.