The current version of Joomla!, version 3.4, does not support PHP 7. For advanced users and experts who do not want to wait for PHP 7 to be officially supported in Joomla! 3.5, there is now an option to test PHP 7 (local installation recommended) with Joomla! 3.4.
Phil Taylor has merged Michael Babker‘s modifications for PHP 7 in Joomla! 3.5 to Joomla! 3.4. To use PHP 7 with Joomla!, you must download these modifications from GitHub and copy them to your Joomla! directory.
We tested it with this version ourselves and found noticeable improvements in speed and memory usage.
Installation with this version is the user’s responsibility. 1&1 cannot provide any support. Use this version only for performance tests with a copy of your website; never use it for your primary website or for live systems. In certain cases, it may cause problems and compatibility issues with third-party extensions.
If you are uncertain, please wait for PHP 7 to be officially supported in Joomla! 3.5.
Modifying Joomla! 3.4 for PHP 7
This patch is intended for use with Joomla! 3.4.5. Important: After modifying your installation, please make sure that you update to the most recent Joomla! version 3.4.6 using this package, which contains important security fixes for a vulnerability found in Joomla! 3.4.5 and older.
Step by step:
- Download the modifications from Phil Taylor from GitHub (Download).
- Unpack the ZIP file.
- Log in to your webspace using SFTP.
- Open your Joomla! installation folder and replace only the “libraries” folder in your webspace with the folder from the ZIP file.
- Update to the most recent Joomla! version 3.4.6 using this package.
- Activating PHP 7 in 1&1 Control Panel for your website’s domain.
Update Jan 13, 2016: To make sure, you do not overwrite existing adjustments when updating, please use the individual updates for Joomla! found on GitHub.
1. Upgrade from 3.4.6 to 3.4.7 using this 3.4.7 update (Download Update from Joomla! 3.4.6 to 3.4.7 ZIP-file and copy the contents to your webspace)
2. Upgrade from 3.4.7 to 3.4.8 using this 3.4.8 update (Download Update from Joomla! 3.4.7 to 3.4.8 ZIP-file and copy the contents to your webspace)
Joomla! 3.4 performance and memory usage with PHP 7
We performed a simple, local test to examine the performance of a fresh Joomla! 3.4 installation with PHP 5.6 compared to with PHP 7.
Performance and memory usage with PHP 5.6 (default installation):
Performance and memory usage with PHP 7 (default installation):
Joomla! 3.4 runs about 50-60% faster with PHP 7, and the memory used for our default installation decreased to around a quarter of the original (8.52 MB with PHP 5.6 compared to 2.36 MB with PHP 7)!
These initial results for Joomla! with PHP 7 are very promising; we are excited to see how Joomla! 3.5 performs with PHP 7.