This tutorial will show you how to prepare your domain transfer, how to start the transfer with 1&1 and how to connect your website to your domain with 1&1 after the transfer.
Commonly, a domain transfer can be done in three steps. In this tutorial we mention two more optional steps, to help you better understand the process and get started with your domain at 1&1:
- Step 4, the transfer is being processed / waiting phase: Expect the domain transfer to take about 5 days.
- Step 5, completing the transfer: Connect and manage your domain in 1&1 Control Panel.
Domain Transfer at a Glance
You can complete the domain transfer in 5 steps:
- Prepare transfer: Request authorization code, unlock domain and modify important settings. Optional: Back up your e-mail accounts with your old provider and prepare them for the domain transfer, e.g. using services such as MailStore or Audriga.
- Start transfer: Request the transfer from 1&1. New customers should start at 1and1.com. Existing customers should register at my.1and1.com.
- Confirm transfer: If you have a generic top-level domain, you will receive an FOA e-mail that you can use to confirm the transfer.
- Wait about 5 days: A domain transfer takes some time. Expect the domain transfer to take about 5 days.
- Complete transfer and manage domain in 1&1 Control Panel:
- Connect your website to your domain / Connect WordPress to your domain (1 click)
- Modify your domain settings
- Create a new website (with WordPress, Joomla!, PrestaShop, Drupal, Typo3 and many other CMSs)
- Access visitor statistics for your website using 1&1 SiteAnalytics