The parent company behind WordPress.com is buying WooCommerce, one of the most popular eCommerce plugins for WordPress.
Automattic CEO Matt Mullenweg confirmed that the acquisition will be the largest by Automattic so far, with Automattic reportedly spending $30 million on WooCommerce.
WooCommerce enables WordPress users to sell things online and competes directly with other eCommerce solutions like Shopify. WooCommerce is offering support for multiple payment methods, shipping options, inventory management and relatively simple tax configuration.
WooCommerce combines a free feature set with paid features and extensions. WooCommerce is also tightly integrated with WooThemes, which offers free and paid WooCommerce themes.
Read the official statement by WooThemes in the WooThemes Blog.
You might also like
- eCommerce Basics: Publish Your Own Website and Optimize for Search Engines
- Essentials: Writing Engaging Copy For Your WordPress Website
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Basics
- The Basics for a Secure WordPress Blog with Good SEO Ranking
- Setting Up Two Factor Authentication with WordPress and Google Authenticator