php-extended-vi-2-01

1&1 Extended Support for PHP

The PHP Community currently supports 2 PHP versions: 5.6 and 7. It provides active support for all versions for 2 years and another year of limited support (security updates only). Older PHP versions do no longer receive security updates and bugfixes.

For everyone who wants to or needs to use older PHP versions after security support by the PHP Community expires, 1&1 offers the PHP Extended Support, currently for PHP 4 , PHP 5.2, PHP 5.4 and PHP 5.5. We recommend you always use the latest, stable PHP version, but we are aware of the fact that switching PHP versions always takes some time and preparation (script testing, dependencies with certain applications etc.).

Update on PHP 5.6, May 2016
Good news for PHP 5.6 users: The final PHP 5 release will receive additional active support for 4 month and 12 month of additional security support. The security support for PHP 5.6 ends 31 Dec 2018.

PHP Extended Support at a glance:

php-extended-support-explained-en-us

For this reason, our 1&1 Extended Support aims to provide you with interruption-free operation until the switch to an up-to-date PHP version.

Once support through the PHP community ends, 1&1 Extended Support for PHP is avaiable immediately. This is the preliminary planning for the 1&1 Extended Support. We are in close consultation with the PHP Community about this and therefore reserve the right to make changes to it:

php-extended-support-timetable-en-05-2016PHP versions and support by PHP Community:

• PHP 4: no longer supported by PHP Community
    1&1 Extended Support available
  • PHP 5.2: no longer supported by PHP Community
  • PHP 5.4: no longer supported by PHP Community
  • PHP 5.5: no longer supported by PHP Community (since July 21st)
  • PHP 5.6: support expected to end on Dezember 31, 2018
  • PHP 7: support expected to end on Dezember 03, 2018

Compare the support periods

PHP Community Support: These versions are actively supported by the PHP Community. Bugs and security vulnerabilities are fixed and there are minor releases on a regular basis.

Limited PHP Community Support: Only security-relevant bugs are fixed.

More information on the supported vesions on php.net

1&1 Extended Support: Some PHP versions that are no longer supported by the PHP Community get the 1&1 Extended Support.

• We are charging a small fee for 1&1 Extended Support
  • There is no contract term
  • You can switch to an up-to-date PHP version at any time if you don’t or no longer want to use the 1&1 Extended Support.
  • We are always informing you via e-mail in due time before your PHP version enters the 1&1 Extended Support.

1&1 extends short support times by the PHP Community

Due to the relatively short support times by the PHP Community, we at 1&1 had to decide for one of the following approaches:

• Extended Support for older PHP versions by 1&1

• Extended support and smoother switch to new PHP versions
    • Optional offer without a contract term
  • No longer offer PHP versions without Community support

• Traceability / transparency
    • We would actually “walk out on” some users which is not our way of doing things.

We definitely see the 1&1 Extended Support as the best solution for the majority of our users.

However, 1&1 recommends to always use an up-to-date and established PHP version. For example, after the release of PHP 7 still PHP 5.6 for a transition period. These versions offer a good mix of application support, reliability, performance, security and features.

Benefits of switching to the latest PHP version

Switching to the latest PHP version can significantly improve the performance of your website. Take WordPress as an example: With PHP 7 + OpCache, WordPress websites run more than twice as fast as with PHP 5.6.

Switching PHP versions

php-update-cancel-extended-01

You can check and adjust your PHP Settings easily. Simply Log in with your login credentials and select the desired contract.
Customers outside the US: please log in via your local 1&1 website. For example: 1and1.ca (Canada), 1and1.es (Spain), 1and1.fr (France)…Open PHP settings in 1&1 Control Panel (US customers)

• You are now in the PHP Settings section. The overview shows your domains and the active PHP version.
  • Activate the check boxes next to the desired domains.
control-panel-php-settings-en-us
  • Click Change PHP version.
    You can now choose between different PHP versions.
  • Choose your version and click Use PHP [version number].
    Changing the PHP version usually only takes a couple of seconds or up to one minute. We recommend to test your scripts after the switch.
    Tip: You can undo the PHP version switch at any time.

You might also like

Please rate this post :

102 thoughts on “1&1 Extended Support for PHP

1. Milena says:

Just a note:

The link “Open PHP settings in 1&1 Control Panel” is not good for Canadian users.

Anyway, I signed in from 1&1.ca and followed the instructions.

1. Philipp Bellmann says:

Hello Milena,

that is a current limitation, thanks for pointing it out. I updated the article.

Best,
      Phil

2. Lorenzo says:

Will the change of PHP version (to 5.5 or higher) automatically cancel the extended support charge or should I cancel it somewhere?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Lorenzo,

to cancel PHP Extended Support please visit https://cancel.1and1.com.

After login you should cancel it as an additional item: http://help.1and1.com/account-and-billing-c65577/account-details-c65578/cancel-a-domain-andor-additional-items-from-your-package-a645157.html

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

1. 1and1 Customer says:

PHP Extended Support does not show up as an additional item for me when using cancellation link above. I want to cancel this. This has been automatically billing unnecessarily for months now.
        What do we need to do in order to cancel?
        Also, do we have to select a PHP version for every domain before being able to cancel? Most of mine do not have any version selected by default.

1. Brittany Reilly says:

Hello,

Thanks for your question! In your case, the PHP Extended Support option was already deactivated in November 2014 so that would be why you are having difficulty finding this in the cancellation tool. 😉 I apologize for any confusion. If you have further questions regarding this, please feel free to email me directly at brittany@1and1.com. Thanks so much!

Brittany

2. Darren says:

I have just upgraded to ver 7 but nothing is listed as an additional item when I go to the cancel page. I can cancel my entire hosting package – that’s it.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Darren,

If you received our email regarding the PHP 5.5 Extended Support: The feature will be activated in January 2017, if you have any domains left using PHP 5.5 at that time. If you have switched all of your domains and subdomains to PHP 5.6 or 7, you are good to go and nothing will be charged. 🙂

Best,
          Michael, 1&1

3. Alex Kitchener says:

How do customers sign up for extended PHP support? Thanks

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Alex,

thanks for reaching out to us.

PHP Extended Support is not a feature to order actively in the control panel. If you are using one of the mentioned end-of-life PHP versions in your PHP settings for some of your domains, we will contact you via email. If you are not going to change your PHP version to a current one, we will activate the Extended Support automatically for you after a specific time frame.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

4. Cosimo says:

Hi, I’ve seen that in the Hosting Unlimited the command line version of php is stuck at version 5.5.30 while the web version is 5.6. This can cause problems if I develop in 5.6 and try to run it from command line.
    How can I upgrade to 5.6 the command-line version? Thanks

5. Occhiovivo says:

Bonjour je vous Ă©cris parce que j’a rencontre un problĂšme avec mon site. Je voudrais savoir comme rĂ©parer mon site internet du problĂšme suivant: quand j’Ă©cris mon article web ou photographie je retrouve dans l’administration mon article enregistrĂ© dĂ©sordonnĂ©, le file est enregistrĂ© du cĂŽtĂ© de desc et viceversa. Le titre ne s’affiche pas par entier dans la page administration du site, lĂ  ou on Ă©crit les articles, le prix ne s’affiche pas noplus, et le texte noplus. Que dois-je faire? Merci. Cordialement.

1. 1and1assistance says:

Bonjour Occhiovivo,

Nous vous remercions pour votre message.

Nous aurons besoin de plus d’informations pour vous aider Ă  rĂ©soudre ce problĂšme. Nous vous invitons Ă  nous fournir votre numĂ©ro client soit par mail Ă  assistance@1and1.fr ou sur les rĂ©seaux sociaux par DM (twitter) ou message privĂ© (Facebook).

Cordialement,

Alex, 1&1

6. Ryan Trunten says:

I have a WordPress blog and a couple of Coppermine Photo Galleries on a couple of domains with my hosting with you. WordPress seems to take whatever PHP version I change to, however, Coppermine doesn’t seem to like 7 and will give errors when I go to the gallery site, so I’ve decided to set my PHP versions to 5.6 for all of my domains. Should I expect to have to be charged extra multiple times per month now? Or should I plan ahead and be safe and just keep a working version set for the domains with the photo galleries? I’d only need to keep at least 5.6 on 2 domains, although you recommend 5.6 currently, so, I guess the extended support and charges are for below?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Ryan,

for now, the PHP Extended Support is only for 5.4 and lower.

As you can see in our chart at the top of this article, the next version will be PHP 5.5. We are planing to have it free of charge until the beginning of next year (2017). A year later PHP 5.6 will be charged for the first time.

So, for now, you are good to go with PHP 5.6 for free for quite a time. 🙂

Best,
      Michael, 1&1

7. Rob says:

I received an email saying ‘Welcome to 1&1 Extended Support for PHP’ which stated that I would be charged for extended support for PHP 5.4 starting in May. If I move all my domains and sub-domains to PHP 5.6 or PHP 7.0, will the charges be automatically cancelled? Or is there something I have to do to prevent these charges? I couldn’t see any additional items in my package, and the link cancel.1and1.com doesn’t work because I’m in the UK.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Rob,

if you move all your domains and subdomains to PHP 5.6 and/or PHP 7, the PHP 5.4 Extended Support option will not be activated at all for your contract id.

We would activate this option for you in May if you wouldn’t do the move. So at the moment it’s pretty normal that you cannot see it as an additional item.

Regards,
      Michael, 1&1

8. Katy says:

Most of our domains do not have a PHP version set. Does this mean one has ot be set or can it be left as it is, in order to avoid entering into the extended support agreement?

9. bikeman says:

I can’t see any pricing?

Also it’s not clear whether just temporarily enabling php 5.4 or lower temporarily (for perhaps an hour for testing) would incur the extended support cost for the entire billing period.

What ‘support’ are 1and1 actually providing to justify this cost?

10. Michelle says:

There are a number of entries in in the PHP Settings window. I changed the version for my domain, ga-center.com, but what about webmail.ga-center.com and the onlinehome.us listings? and the autodiscover? Do I have to do something there?

11. What can possibly happen if the PHP Extended Support cancelled? And as a layman who has no idea what these means to cancel PHP Extended Support…how can you advise me?
    Rev. P B Adams

12. I am completely disappointed!
    1&1 does not answer important, safety-relevant questions of their customers!
    Neither here nor elsewhere I did get a concrete answer to my question – see also my post of September 16, 2016 at 12:13 pm.

1. 1and1help says:

Hello Wolfgang,

I am deeply sorry you haven’t heard back from us since then. For older Managed Servers, we do not offer a newer PHP version than PHP 5.5. I would like to sort this out with you and offer you a personalized solution. Please send me an e-mail to help@1and1.com with your account information and I will provide you more information regarding this matter.

Thanks and best,
      Michael, 1&1

13. Ismael says:

Tengo un scroll en flash que ahora ya no funcionan los botones arriba, abajo. Âżes posible sea causa la actualizaciĂłn del php?
    el scrip utilizado para los botones en flash es el siguiente:
    onLoad () {
    downs = “false”;
    ups = “false”;
    }
    onEnterFrame(includingFirstFrame) {
    if (downs eq “true”) {
    _root.sent.scroll += 1;
    }
    if (ups eq “true”) {
    _root.sent.scroll -= 1;
    }
    }

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Ismael,

sorry, English support only 😉

It’s very unlikely that your problem with Flash is related to our PHP versions.

Nowadays, more and more web browsers block Flash by default- so maybe that’s why your Flash function isn’t working anymore. Please have a look into your browsers settings and allow Flash again.

Best,
      Michael, 1&1

14. Jason Boyce says:

How can I change a single domain to a specific PHP version for testing?

(Or better yet, can I change the PHP version of a a single sub-directory under my root (domain)? I point sub-directories to domain names(URLs) ).

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Jason,

Changing the PHP version for a domain or subdomain is absolutely possible. For more information on making the switch, please reference the following 1&1 Help Article: http://help.1and1.com/hosting-c37630/scripts-and-programming-languages-c85099/php-c37728/change-the-default-version-of-php-in-the-control-panel-a792330.html

Best,
      Michael, 1&1

15. Shane Levine says:

I had no knowledge of extended support until I incurred a fee for the service–something I easily could have avoided had 1&1 brought it to my attention before charging me for it.

Is there a way out of the fee?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Shane,

In order to remove the Extended Support, you would first need to switch all of your domains and subdomains to PHP 5.6 or 7 (http://help.1and1.com/article/792330). Once all have been switched will have the option to cancel the feature. Here you will find some FAQs with more information: http://help.1and1.com/hosting-c37630/scripts-and-programming-languages-c85099/php-c37728/1and1-php-extended-support-a792618.html

Best,
      Michael, 1&1

1. Nigel D says:

I’ve just switched my domains and subdomains from PHP 5.5 to PHP 7. Now how do I cancel Extended Support? According to the email I received, I am already on Extended Support and will be charged ÂŁ5.31 per month from 10th Jan 2017 onwards?

I’m in the UK, and the instructions given (e.g. in these comments) are for the US version only. If I log into my account via 1and1.co.uk I don’t see any option to cancel (or otherwise manage) Extended Support.

Nigel

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Nigel,

sorry about the missing instructions for UK. You can find them here: http://help.1and1.co.uk/account-and-billing-c71094/cancellation-c85257/cancel-a-domain-or-an-additional-item-from-your-package-a623833.html

But in your case it’s not yet necessary to cancel anything. As soon as you ensured that all of your domains and subdomains are running with PHP 5.6 or 7, there will no Extended Support option be activated in January 2017.

Best regards,
          Michael, 1&1

1. Nigel D says:

Great! Thanks for the reply.

16. Esistono strumenti per la migrazione del codice da versioni precedenti a PHP 7?

1. 1and1help says:

Sorry Alessandro,

We currently only offer English support on this site. 🙂

I have no knowledge of any easy tools to make older scripts fully compatible to PHP 7, however the PHP developers offer good information on migrating (also not in Italian, sorry ;)):
      http://php.net/manual/en/migration70.php

Best,
      Michael, 1&1

17. Simon says:

Just updated to php v7. However when run php -v from SSH it is showing as PHP 4.4.9???

Any ideas?

Thanks

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Simon,

on our shared hosting servers we currently only support up to PHP 5.5 as a CLI version.

Important: You have to name the exact version:

php5.5
      php5.5-cli

On our shared hosting systems, the browser version and the CLI versions of PHP are separated from each other (PHP Extended Support is all about the browser version).

Regards,
      Michael, 1&1

1. Michael says:

Do you still only support php 5.5 on the shell? We need php7 cli support to run our composer installation.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Michael,

yes, this is still the current situation. Our developers are working on updates.

Best regards,
          Michael, 1&1

18. I do not wish to pay for extended support. I’m a 1and1.ca customer. How do i cancel extended support using my control panel at 1and1.ca ?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Kenneth,

it’s the same as for US customers. There is no difference in this case.

But please be also aware of what I explained to Nigel in an other comment before: https://community.1and1.com/11-extended-support-for-older-php-versions/#comment-164950

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

19. Steve McKinley says:

I must be really dumb, or just blind. I can’t find the php settings. The instructions say to login into my control panel and select “Domains.” But there is no option on the Domains page to select php version.

And the link above (https://my.1and1.com/ExtPhpSettingsOverview) just redirects to (https://my.1and1.com/Dashboard).

What am I missing?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Steve,

please ensure that you selected the right contract in your Control Panel.

These PHP settings are only available in Shared Hosting packages – not in Cloud server contracts.

After choosing the shared hosting contracts you should be able to see & click the option “PHP setting” on the “Hosting overview” page.

Best,
      Michael, 1&1

1. Steve McKinley says:

Got it. Thank you!

20. Otto says:

I only have a WordPress blog. When I set PHP version to 7, it stops working, saying my PHP installation is missing the MySQL extension. What should I do?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Otto,

the “mysql” extension is no longer available in PHP 7.x: http://php.net/manual/de/mysql.php

Seems like you are using an older WordPress version, because since WordPress 3.9, the software supports automatically “mysqli” (instead of “mysql”) if you are using PHP 5.5 or higher. (https://make.wordpress.org/core/2014/04/07/mysql-in-wordpress-3-9/)

You might consider to update your WordPress installation- or stay with PHP 5.6 for now.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

21. Julio says:

Hi,

I updated to PHP 7.0 but then my website stopped working. It gives me this message:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function set_magic_quotes_runtime() in /homepages/0/d405288849/htdocs/ndxz-studio/defaults.php:16 Stack trace: #0 /homepages/0/d405288849/htdocs/index.php(9): require_once() #1 {main} thrown in /homepages/0/d405288849/htdocs/ndxz-studio/defaults.php on line 16

I used indexhibit to contruct my website. What should I do?

Many thanks

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Julio,

the magic_quotes_runtime was already deprecated since PHP 5.3 and was completely removed with PHP 7. Source: http://php.net/manual/en/function.magic-quotes-runtime.php

So you might stay with PHP 5.6 for now- or update your application to a maybe already available newer version which does not require magic_quotes_runtime anymore.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

22. Nick Baird says:

I have over 30 domains registered with 1 and 1, but only 3 have websites behind them (and only 2 use PHP). I have changed the PHP version to 5.6 for the active web sites. Can I leave the PHP version for all of the other domains un-set, without incurring extended support charges?

Or is there a way of setting the version for all domains in one go?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Nick,

please change your PHP version also for the other domains and subdomains.

You can select all domains at once by clicking in the checkbox under the “Change PHP version” button you can see here: http://help.1and1.com/image_us/article/792330/scr_change_default_version_02.png

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

23. Chris says:

Hi, I have just updated all my websites to PHP7.0. I would like to make sure that we don’t use 1&1 PHP Extended Support. We want no additional costs. Where I can check it? Thank you

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Chris,

when you go into your control panel to the PHP settings and you can only chose PHP 5.5 5.6, 7.0 and 7.1 – you have no Extended Support option in your contract yet.

If you have all of your domains and subdomains set to PHP 5.6 or higher, you will not be charged for PHP 5.5 Extended Support. This would begin in January 2017, if there are some domains or subdomains left on PHP 5.5.

Best,
      Michael, 1&1

24. Dino says:

I have 3 domains using joomla. After changing to php 7, my webistes did not work. I changed the website nutricionizam.ba to php 5.6 and it works, but how can I change it to php 7. and that it will work with php 7.? The other two websites (domains) I did not finish, so I will install joomla again and create new sites with php 7., but the site nutricionizam I would like to upgrade to php 7 without creating it from the beginnig. Thank you very much.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Dino,

you installed Joomla! in Standard mode back in the days in version 3.3.6. Did you every upgraded your Joomla! installation since then? Joomla! supports PHP 7 since version 3.5. With lower versions you will not be able to use PHP 7 properly.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

25. Scott Bolte says:

When I log on to the 1and1 shared hosting server using ssh the only available CLI (command line interface) versions of php are obsolete. For the web server, I know versions (php 7.1, 7.0, 5.6, and 5.5) may be selected. Unfortunately, for the CLI, I can only find end of life versions (5.5.38, 5.4.45, 5.2.17, and 4.4.9). Are supported versions of PHP available (i.e., 5.6+) on the Linux servers but simply not in /usr/bin?

FYI, I am using VersionPress, a WordPress plugin that allows me to have development, staging and production versions of my web site. It is built on top of git and makes use of wp-cli (WordPress Command Line Interface) for migrating a site — including the database — from one environment (e.g., staging) to another (e.g., production). Unfortunately there were bugs in php versions 5.5 and earlier that prevent VersionPress from working.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Scott,

unfortunatley there is no newer version than php-cli 5.5 on our webservers yet. Our colleagues are working on updates for that but no ETA yet.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

1. Scott Bolte says:

Michael,

Can you get an ETA? If it’s soon — on the order of a week — I can wait. Otherwise I’ll start looking for alternative hosting options.

By the way, I’m not trying to be unfair, but given how easy it is to support concurrent versions of php I really don’t understand why you don’t already have even one supported version of php available for the CLI. Simply find whoever built/installed php5.5 four weeks ago and ask them to do the same with 5.6 or 7.X.

Thank you,

Scott

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Scott,

I absolutely understand, that you have to plan your projects. Unfortunately I can’t give you any ETA for this yet. But I am pretty sure, that it will take more than one week.

Of course on a single dedicated server such an adjustment is done very quickly. In our shared hosting envirement this is a very complex topic, though. By the way: The php5.5-cli exists already since 1-2 years on our shared hosting servers, this wasn’t done in the last weeks.

However, if you have to realize your projects now and you have to use php-cli 5.6+ for it, please send us an e-mail at help@1and1.com – so we can talk about the terms of your contract and offer you an alternative solution.

Regards,
          Michael, 1&1

26. Alex says:

I would like to use GMP (GNU multiple precision ariphmetic library) extension for PHP, but currently it is not installed in my PHP package (1and1 Unlimited). How can I get it installed?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Alex,

for shared / managed hosting we compile PHP for our users. So PHP is delivered “as it is”, without server permissions to install something you would need root rights for – like in this case.

If you need GMP, i recommend you to switch to a root server product – like our dedicated or cloud servers: https://www.1and1.com/server

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

27. Keith says:

How can I set my php version to 5.1 o 5.2?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Keith,

the current PHP versions are 5.6, 7.0 and 7.1. You can set them for free in your 1&1 Control Panel, if your domain points to the 1&1 webspace.

If you need PHP 5.2 (which is an outdated version) because you have older applications which are only working with this version, please get in touch with our support- they can activate PHP 5.2 Extended Support for you with an additional fee.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

1. Keith says:

I’m paying additional fee for that but i can’t set php to 5.2, can you do that for me? thanks!

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Keith,

sure thing, please send us your customer id and the domain name via e-mail: help@1and1.com.

Best regards,
          Michael, 1&1

28. Keith says:

I need to do that because my scripts does not work with the new versions of php. I cant set the php version from my control panel due the min is 5.5 and I need 5.2 | This is going to be for a while till I can update all my scripts to a new php version….thanks!

29. mark says:

All my php are set to 5.6. Why did you just send me a bill for 5.5 extended support???? For $21 for 3 months? I do not want this. I called support but hung up after waiting on hold for an hour.

What happened to your service 1and1? Everytime I phone in I can expect to spend half a day on hold, figuring out the continual billing issues.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi mark,

please send us an e-mail to help@1and1.com with your customer data. We will look into this for you.

Thanks and best,
      Michael, 1&1

1. Todd Dupre says:

i have repeatedly told support that I do not want 5.5 extended support as I am already on 5.6. Now I am getting a bill for extended support. Is this some joke?. Here is the invoice # XXXXX [Michael, 1&1: Please don’t post personal data in public comments]. Your service is bad to say the least!!! Your reps do not even understand English. Every time you send them an email, they just copy-paste replies back and do not even check the contents of the email.

If that bill for extended support hits my paypal account, I will dispute it with paypal !!!

1. Todd Dupre says:

I just spoke to support and they mentioned that it has been cancelled. Thanks

30. Lau says:

Hi, when is php 7.0 available ? It has been anounced then postponed, what is the new roadmap ? we’ve only got 5.5 on managed servers !

1. 1and1help says:

Salut Lau,

the upgrade of the older managed servers is still going on. As soon as your server is planned to be upgraded, you will get an e-mail from us, informing you about the concrete date.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

31. Eric says:

I recently cancelled PHP 5.4 extended support by accident and now I don’t know how to get it back. Is it still available and how do I activate it?

Thanks,
    Eric

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Eric,

you can order it again as an add-on to your hosting package by contacting our support: https://contact.1and1.com

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

32. Mark says:

Couple of questions.

1) In the past if I wanted to test a new version of PHP on a specific script with my managed server then I could just go into its directory and add an .htaccess with a line like this at the top:

AddHandler x-mapp-php5.5 .php

Now that doesn’t work, even though the way 1&1 has installed the dedicated server should still support it. I want to try PHP7 and 7.1 on some scripts to test, but 1&1’s control panel only allows me to enable by an entire domain and that’s useless for testing. How can I enable it for a specific directory (folder) instead?

2) I redirect one of my domains to a sub-folder (directory) on the site and have it act as its own website by adding this to an .htaccess in the same DIR.

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.mydomain\.co.uk [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^$
    RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.mydomain.co.uk/$1 [L,R=301]

This has worked fine for years and the website is only basic HTML. But if I switch from PHP7.0 to PHP7.1 then the domain suddenly throws up a 500 Internal Server Error and this only goes away if I remove the rewrite code above (that code is fairly common), but then I can’t use the domain properly. What has changed in PHP7.1 that I can now longer use such a common rewrite and how can I fix it?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Mark,

1) You can define different php versions for subdomains as well, not only for the main domain. So maybe you create a subdomain like “test.mydomain.tld” and give this subdomain the PHP version you like.

2) It’s possible that this happens in combination with some things in your application. However, we will check this on our servers as well.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

33. Keith says:

I need to go back to 5.1 php please help, give me an email to contact technical support, not a phone, dont want to spend hours online waiting.
    I was paying extender support but after I changed to a new version of php nothing is working now. In the control panel the option to switch back is not appearing i dont understand why. when I check my site this appears http://s411670295.onlinehome.us

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Keith,

please send us an e-mail for ordering PHP Extended Support at help@1and1.com.

Please be aware that we don’t offer PHP 5.1. The clostest version to this would be 5.2, which we offer as optional Extended Suppport with an additonal fee.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

34. Miguel Angel says:

Hi bro, im on the same situation, they are billing me the 5.4 php $296 MEXICAN PESOS, i have the 5.6 version i dont know why they are billing me!, i called support but they dont answer, i waited around 2 hours on different calls, but no one receive mi call. I need a solution because, if i dont pay i suppose i cant enter to my dashboard and explain this.. Please give me a solution

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Miguel,

please contact us via e-mail at ayuda@1and1.mx. The colleagues are happy to find a solution for you.

Thanks,
      Michael, 1&1

35. Bob Brock says:

I really need to get something newer than cli 5.5 on our managed server. How can I find my options?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Bob,

this is still the current status: https://community.1and1.com/11-extended-support-for-older-php-versions/#comment-172141

As soon as we have concrete things to share, we will do it here.

Regards,
      Michael, 1&1

36. Bonjour,

Est-il possible de retrouver la version 5.4 de PHP, si oui comment ?

Cordialement,

M. Chassaing

1. 1and1help says:

Bonjour M. Chassaing,

je vous invite à prendre contact directement avec notre service client : nos conseillers pourront vous mettre en place le Support Prolongé pour PHP5.4.

Cordialement,
      Michael 1&1

37. Hi There, i need to adjust some settings in the php.ini but where do i find it??

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Darren,

in webhosting packages we don’t offer access to the global php.ini file. But you can create your very own php.ini files. They will overwrite the global settings in the folders where they are saved to.

Best,
      Michael, 1&1

38. Ken T says:

I selected the latest version php 7.x. My bank was charged for 3 months. I need a refund for at least most of it. This is the second time I’ve had this problem. I could have sworn I upgraded my sites previously and was surprised to find that 2 out of many were not upgraded.
    Since there isn’t a link to cancel, will I get the refund?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Ken T,

please send us an e-mail your request and your customer data at help@1and1.com. We will have a deeper look into it.

Thanks,
      Michael, 1&1

39. Bob Diercksmeier says:

Yeah, me too — changed the PHP version on all the domains in one of our hosting packages to 7.0 back in January, still got billed for PHP extended support. Just got another invoice and it’s on there again for 3 more months. In the control panel, theres no link to turn it off (per 1and1.com Help instructions) because all PHP versions are up to date. Last time I called billing support I was on hold for an hour and had to hang up to go into a meeting — I have another package I can’t even cancel because the cancellation process doesn’t work, I’m being billed $179/yr for that and there aren’t any domains in that account. Frustrating — I’ve been with 1and1.com for over 10 years, we have 100+ domain names and 10-20 client hosting packages here, and every time I get a bill I have to look to see if I’m getting charged for something I’m not supposed to be — I don’t have this problem with other hosts we use. Very time consuming, and as a busy small business owner I don’t have time to babysit this. Might be time to move away.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Bob,

please reach out to us via e-mail:

help@1and1.com

We will have a deeper look into this for you.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

40. Andrea says:

Hello
    We have to set the max_input_vars 5000 to min 6000 but how we can do it can you help us
    thanks

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Andrea,

you can put it in a locally created .user.ini file with the following command on your server:

max_input_vars = 6000

For more informations about .user.ini click here: http://php.net/manual/en/configuration.file.per-user.php

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

41. PORRET says:

Hi,
    As webmaster for a web site la-clusaz.com, I use the 1&1extended support for php, version 5.2. May you confirm me I will be able to use this 1&1 support version 5.2 version until end 2019 ?
    Best regards
    Jean-Yves

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Jean-Yves,

currently, we are not able to confirm any date after January 2019. Howsoever, there are no current plans to discontinue any of our PHP Extended Support versions.
      If situations change in the future, we will inform you via e-mail.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

42. Leferfort Mikaël says:

PHP Support was not cancelled, I changed it months ago and continue to be billed.
    Please cancel it and refund.

1. 1and1help says:

Hi,

the easiest way to sort this out quickly is to contact my support colleagues. Here we offer you contact ways: https://contact.1and1.com/

Thanks,
      Michael, 1&1

43. Roberto says:

I’m very disappointed, no reply to my mail about billing questions, I’ve switched to PHP 5.6 moths ago and you continue to bill this extended support 5.5!

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Roberto,

I am very sorry that you didn’t get any response to your e-mail!

As I can see, you are in a conversation with our phone support at the moment. I am sure that my colleagues will clarify this for you.

Best regards and sorry again,
      Michael, 1&1

44. Reynaldo says:

I updated all of the domains in my package to PHP7.0 except for 1 which is saying Managed by 1and1 (1and1 PHP Extended Support). How do i get the php on that domain updated so that i can cancel the php extended support?

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Reynaldo,

you don’t need to update those Managed by 1&1 entries.

Simply cancel the PHP Extended Support as additional item. You can find it here while logged in: https://contract.1and1.com/cancel-items

Best regards,
      Michael, 1&1

45. NBBF says:

When we upgrade our website to PHP7, it becomes unavailbale with a blank page. We have to revert back to 5.6 to have it display and it’s sloooooooww!!!!!!!!
    The contract have another website which works well with PHP7.
    On another account (contract with you, we face the same issue. Last websites does not display with PHP7.
    Please help urgently!

1. 1and1help says:

Hi,

as long as your WordPress is up to date, it should work with fine with both PHP versions.

We checked the webserver and there are no performance issues happening.

Please try to deactivate all plugins to trouble shoot if there is one of them causing this issue. Turn them on again one after the other to check when the issue occurs.

Thanks,
      Michael, 1&1

46. I’ve been charged for PHP4 extended support for ages now. I don’t remember ever ordering it, it just appeared on an invoice one day. I don’t really understand what it is and if I definitely even need it to be honest. I want to keep my costs down so don’t want anything I don’t need. Sorry, I’m a lay person & I don’t understand all the jargon! Can you please explain more to me! Many thanks

1. 1and1help says:

Hi Sandie,

first of all: If you are sure, you don’t need PHP 4 anymore, follow these steps to cancel the Extended Support: https://help.1and1.com/account-and-billing-c65577/cancellation-c85201/cancel-1and1-php-extended-support-a793065.html

PHP is a programming language for dynamic websites. If your website is based on PHP, it might be only compatible with specific versions of PHP. The most common versions nowadays are PHP 5.6 and 7.x. If your website was developed a long time ago, it might be possible that its not running properly with these current versions.

On the other hand, older PHP versions are not maintained by the PHP developers anymore. There are no new official security updates for it anymore. So running those versions on our servers is a potential risk.

To minimize these risks we have to update and maintain those outdated PHP versions by ourselves. This comes together with high costs and men power we have to put in.

Anyway, going back to the start: If you are 100% sure that you don’t need PHP 4 or other end-of-life PHP versions anymore, please follow the instructions of the link at the beginning of my comment.

Best regards,
      Michael, 1%1

Leave a Reply to Reynaldo Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *